I have 1210.802 units in a mutual fund. How do I write it in words?

"One thousand two hundred and ten..." How do I write the decimal units here?

  • 1
    "One thousand two hundred and ten" ... that "and" is British-speak, often omitted in the US. – GEdgar Mar 1 '12 at 1:38

I wonder: if you must complete the form using words, is it necessary to include the fractional part? One could say:

  • I own approximately twelve hundred and ten shares.


  • I have just over one thousand, two hundred and ten units.

If you must be absolutely precise, though, you might use:

  • One thousand, two hundred and ten units, plus eight hundred and two thousandths of a unit.

My goodness, though! After you write such a monstrosity, do what Barrie suggested, and put the number in parentheses.

  • 1
    Hmm, whether it's "necessary" to include the fractional part surely depends on the context. If each share is worth $10,000, I don't think I'd want to just forget about the fractional share. Well, maybe if I had ten million dollars another eight thousand would seem like pocket change. Sadly, I'm unlikely to ever know. – Jay Mar 27 '12 at 15:13

And the numbers afterwards are individual:

One thousand two hundred and ten point eight oh two.

But, as per @Barrie, why? I can think of no case where this would be necessary or appropriate.

  • And it risks confusion to do so. – Barrie England Feb 29 '12 at 9:16
  • I need to fill up a form wherein I have to mention the number of units in numbers and words. – The King Feb 29 '12 at 9:16
  • The conventional rule in writing is that once a number passes two digits, we write it as Hindu-Arabic digits and not in words. But if a form requires you to write it in words, then I guess that's what you have to do. They probably want you to write it both ways as a double-check against errors: If the two agree, that's a good sign, if not, then one or the other or both are mistakes and they'll have to check back with you to correct it. – Jay Mar 27 '12 at 15:15

When you are writing the values on a check, say for $193.34, when writing it in words it is customarily done as:

One hundred ninety three and 34/100

Perhaps for your numbers you would use the same convention. For 1210.802, you would write:

One thousand two hundred ten and 802/1000


Normally, you wouldn’t. In speech, you say the decimal point as ‘point’.

  • I need to fill up a form wherein I have to mention the number of units in numbers and words. – The King Feb 29 '12 at 9:17
  • @The King: You could write ‘one thousand, two hundred and ten and eight hundred and two thousandths units’, perhaps followed by the number in brackets, but it looks very odd. – Barrie England Feb 29 '12 at 10:03
  • In the US, seeing those three "and"s in there might look strange. But he did say "fill up a form" so I assume he is not from the US. – GEdgar Mar 1 '12 at 1:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.