I was looking for a word that means "25 years" in the way that "bicentennial" refers to 200 years.

Wikipedia suggests "Quadranscentennial", but I can't find extensive use of that.


Is there any word for what I'm looking for?

  • 2
    Quarter of a century? That's the most common – Bidella Feb 29 '12 at 0:14

A 25th anniversary is a silver jubilee or silver anniversary, and a celebration of that milestone would be a Silver Jubilee.

The corresponding 50th anniversary is a golden jubilee, after which usage varies; when celebrating personal achievements it is a diamond jubilee at 60 and platinum at 70, as in the reign of a monarch, but the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, for example, was a diamond jubilee.

If you want to mark a period of time rather than the milestone, then quarter century would do the trick as well as simply saying 25th anniversary or 25 years.

  • 2
    You didn't answer the asked question, which is to find a word of the same form as bicentennial. – James Waldby - jwpat7 Feb 29 '12 at 1:01
  • Right, I'm familiar with the those terms. But I'm looking for a word like bicentennial. – Yahel Feb 29 '12 at 2:15
  • 3
    The stated question was "a word that means '25 years' in the way that 'bicentennial' refers to 200 years." I provided a phrase, but a phrase that means 25 years and which I use in the exact scenarios I use "bicentennial." If that's not sufficient, the OP needs to revise the question and be more specific. – choster Feb 29 '12 at 20:40

Note the comments entry for quadranscentennial as a term for 25th anniversary in that Wikipedia link:

Probably a modern coined term

Probably correct, in my opinion.

There are a few usages of quadranscentennial as a 25th anniversary event e.g. the Bhutan Quadranscentennial of Apollo 11 commemorative stamp issued in 1994. But I am uncertain if that was a transcription or spelling error, as I could not find any confirmation from an official Bhutan website.

For wedding commemoration, or regency, a term in current use is "Silver Anniversary". Or "Silver Jubilee" in the case of regents. It isn't a Latin-ate term. But it is a commonly understood term.


As you pointed out, quadranscentennial is the technical term and it is not widely used. I have seen either:

  • 25th Anniversary or
  • Every 25 years

Depending on whether you're talking about a one-time event (like a wedding anniversary) or a repeating event (none come to mind).

  • In this case, its my 25th birthday, and I'd like a nice word to describe the achievement of having survived for a quarter century. :) – Yahel Feb 29 '12 at 2:16
  • In that case I would go with Silver Birthday, as others have said. I don't think a cooler name exists. – Lynn Feb 29 '12 at 6:08

The term "quadrans" (like "quadrant") means a fourth or a quarter (it was the name of a Roman coin), so a quadranscentennial is a fourth of a centennial — i.e., 25 years.

  • 1
    Did you notice all the other answers with the same suggestion? – Mitch Apr 4 '13 at 22:32

A period of 25 years is a "Generation". The time from birth to someone having a child of their own and starting the next generation.


If semicentennial (semi-, precisely half, + centennial, a period of 100 years) is 50 years, then quarticentennial (quart-, a combining form meaning "a fourth," + centennial) is properly the -ennial word meaning 25 years (and arguably more correct than quadrancentennial, since there is no combining form of quadrant).


If you want to coin words try Latin-English viginti-quinque-ennial. Latin viginti is twenty, quinque five.

  • 1
    One can do better than that:languagehat.com/dodrans – tchrist Feb 22 '15 at 3:41
  • You should know how to place words in italics or bold, it would make your answers so much clearer! – Mari-Lou A Feb 22 '15 at 9:36
  • You are absolutely right. I should try to learn it. There are so many typographical tricks on Este that I never dared to study the help pages. – rogermue Feb 22 '15 at 9:54
  • Place one * before and after the word or phrase for italics and two ** before and after (no spaces) for bold – Mari-Lou A Feb 22 '15 at 11:51
  • Thanks Mari-Lou. I've just tried it for the first time. It's easier to type the asterisks. Using the icons for bold and italics is a bit cumbersome. – rogermue Feb 22 '15 at 11:56

Perhaps the coumpound noun 'quad-centary' may suffice, which seems akin to 'bi-centary' (50 years)

  • 1
    Neither bi-centary nor quad-centary is a word. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Feb 22 '15 at 0:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.