I have seen some similar questions on here, mainly this and this, but I'm still not completely convinced.

Which of these is correct?:

  • "The thing that I want to do is study English"
  • "The thing that I want to do is to study English"
  • "The thing that I want to do is studying English"

I personally think that only the first one is correct despite what people have been saying in the other threads that I have linked as, unlike in the examples given in those questions, something still feels off about using [to] here.

New contributor
Ceness is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • 2
    The third is bad grammar. The first two are valid grammar, and the choice would be based on context and "tone".
    – Hot Licks
    Sep 22 at 2:50
  • 2
    As @HotLicks says the third one is definitely wrong but there's nothing wrong with either of the others. The repeated 'to' in the second one makes it a bit clumsy, particularly combined with the phrase "The thing that" rather than "What" but that is a style choice rather than a grammatical error.
    – BoldBen
    Sep 22 at 3:02
  • Thank you very much.
    – Ceness
    Sep 22 at 6:44
  • Right. You need an infinitive, but you can use to or not, because the structure is a cleft. It comes from I want to study English, but the cleft has added lots of dummies that don't change the meaning but do change the structure. After want, you need to; but after the clefting, study doesn't come after want any more; it's after is, and there you have a choice, to use to or not (to). Sep 22 at 14:56
  • 1
    BTW, none of these is how I think most would say it. More normal would be "I want to study English" or "What I want to do is study English"
    – Barmar
    Sep 22 at 22:37


Your Answer

Ceness is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.