For school, I'm taking some online courses, which are graded almost completely by 10 question quizzes that cover each lesson. Any question wrong is a drop of 10%, so it's very important to try to get everything right. Unfortunately, the questions are often quite ambiguous and opinionated, and leave me stuck between two choices.

In describing how I felt taking the quizzes to someone, I had said that they were tantalizing, but after looking the word up to confirm that I had used it correctly, I found that it was a bit off from what I wanted. I think unnerving would be more appropriate, but what would the SE community say is the best way to describe tests like these?

closed as not constructive by FumbleFingers, Matt E. Эллен, MetaEd, kiamlaluno, tchrist Sep 9 '12 at 23:24

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • There's nothing wrong with unnerving in your context, so I'm voting to close because all you're looking for is a list of synonyms that you could look up elsewhere. – FumbleFingers Feb 29 '12 at 0:05
  • -1 too little research. – MetaEd Sep 2 '12 at 5:57

The feeling you describe sounds like it is:


the feeling of being anxious, concerned constantly about making the wrong choice, leading you to not want to make a decision.

  • Thanks, completely forgot about that one. Though, it's been so overused that it's a bit understated now. Are there any close synonyms? – mowwwalker Feb 28 '12 at 22:52


1: to deprive of courage, strength, or steadiness

2: to cause to become nervous : upset


I'd go with "both exacting and exasperating"


Such tests, quizzes makes you feel trapped. For such questions, tests, exams e.t.c you may use distractive.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.