I'm looking for a single word that I can use in place of "taking the blindfold off" of someone. I thought of unmasking, but I think of that as revealing what something looks like to other people. I want to emphasize that this person can now see. Is there a good word for this?

1 Answer 1


There is, of course, unblindfold.

Even though un- is productive and can generally be prefixed to many words to reverse the action, there is actually an entry in OED:

unblindfold, v.

transitive. To unbandage (the eyes); to free (a person or animal) from a bandage over the eyes. Also figurative.

It has a venerable heritage and is neither a neologism nor the result of laziness.

c1430 Pilgr. Lyf Manhode (1869) iv. xix. 186 Þat þei vnblyndfelle so here eyen þat þei mown biholde to þe heuene.

  • This seems the best option, due to having the exact meaning requested. If for some reason the word is too ugly/long/etc, you could also use unblinker or unmask which don't mean quite the same thing but both have a connotation of removing an impediment to vision.
    – Stuart F
    Sep 7 at 15:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.