What word should I use to indicate the sound that a person makes when blowing through their mouth (e.g they're blowing out a candle or blowing hot noodles before eating)?

  • 3
    English does not restrict spellings when non-linguistic sounds are being expressed. So, any way you want to. Consult some comix for examples. Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 14:27

2 Answers 2


I suppose it could be opinion-based, but I offer

I huffed out the candle.

Chambers Dictionary has

to blow or puff loudly

16c: imitating the sound of blowing or puffing loudly.

  • 1
    I think of huff as coming from the throat with lips/mouth open not acting as a nozzle to increase or direct the flow.
    – Jim
    Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 16:35
  • @Jim that sounds like a 'grunt' to me. Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 17:02
  • 1
    I think a grunt has some vocalization in it. A huff is just air being expelled. Like A single breath/exhale from the series of breaths you’re making when you just got done running hard.
    – Jim
    Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 17:44

Sigh is used for the sound of blowing air out, although it has another usage as well. Merriam-Webster makes the distinction clear with two senses listed for the noun sigh and we are referring to the second sense:

1 : an often involuntary act of sighing especially when expressing an emotion or feeling (such as weariness or relief)
2 : the sound of gently moving or escaping air
// sighs of the summer breeze

It is even mentioned in Japanese Manga SFX (sound effects) where you would expect to see it. It is used in anime/cartoon subtitles also.

enter image description here

Source: thejadednetwork.com

  • I don't think this is a common English usage. I suspect a poor translation from Japanese.
    – Barmar
    Commented Sep 4, 2022 at 22:00
  • It is not about colloquial usage though. It is a written representation of a sound used in mangas, animes, comics etc.; and it is related to one of the senses of sigh.
    – ermanen
    Commented Sep 5, 2022 at 7:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.