I have a question about using a gerund as an adjective for a noun. I think the right name is "Present-Participial Adjectives ". I want to refer to a "material" that is being "injected" just right now. So, if I say "injected material" it means that the material has already been injected. If I use "injecting material", it means that the material is the subject and it is injecting something else (completely nonsense). And if I use "being injected material", it seems off and not common to me as I searched it through the internet, and I could not find many examples of it.

I would be grateful if you send me your suggestions.

Best regards, Masoud

  • Could you give some examples, in full sentences?
    – Hot Licks
    Sep 1 at 12:33
  • Is this material being injected a vaccine?
    – tchrist
    Sep 1 at 12:46
  • Yes. For example: When the viscosity rises, it is more difficult for the motor to push the "injecting material" out to the site of interest.
    – Masoud
    Sep 1 at 12:50
  • 1
    There's no law that says you can't switch to another form, like the flow. When the viscosity rises, it is more difficult for the motor to push the flow out. Sep 1 at 12:54

2 Answers 2


It is true that *the being injected material doesn't make sense, but the material being injected is perfectly fine.

This is a type of reduced relative clause - reduced to a present participle phrase. The only particular element is that the verb inject is used in the passive, which is why the auxiliary be takes the -ing form.


Take 200ml of the material to be injected

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.