I would like to know if there is an accepted English noun or short phrase for the person who asks for a copy of an official document. In this case, I'm dealing with the translation of an academic transcript from Spanish, where this person is referred to as the interesado, i.e. the interested party. He or she is supposed to be one of the parents of the former student. Though “interested party” seems correct, maybe I'm missing some other, more specific word. I've seen “requester” suggested in a different question, but I don't think I've ever seen that word before. Synonyms for it found in thesauri, like “applicant” and “petitioner”, don't really fit the concept.

  • Requestor is right, but vague. Interested party suggests the right to view the document, but not the request for it. Commented Aug 30, 2022 at 23:32
  • 2
    I don't think there's a specific word for this. I doubt that "interesado" is that specific, either. It's just the context that makes it clear that they're the requestor. The same will be true in English.
    – Barmar
    Commented Aug 31, 2022 at 0:00
  • 1
    Be aware that the OED attests only the spelling requester, not the -or spelling. Sometimes the suffix choice for agent nouns can be difficult to predict, and both versions can often be found in the historical record. They further note that In received spelling, the choice between the two forms is often capricious, or determined by other than historical reasons.
    – tchrist
    Commented Aug 31, 2022 at 14:34
  • In some contexts you might use "supplicant".
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Sep 1, 2022 at 22:52
  • 1
    Customer if they're paying for it.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 10:36

2 Answers 2


The best you're likely to get is "applicant".

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/section/8 tells us how the Freedom of Information Act 2000 describes one who requests official documents as "the applicant".

It says: (1)In this Act any reference to a “request for information” is a reference to such a request which— (a)is in writing, (b)states the name of the applicant (and stuff)

Other than the fact that "applicant" also has other uses, how does it not fit the concept, please?

Common English usage simply doesn't bother with such detail, in the same way that while "inquisitor" or "interrogator" might be correct, few natives would opt for anything but "question master."


Spanish has el interesado, French has l'intéressé, most dictionaries translate this into English as the person concerned

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.