For example, if someone took my right/freedom of speech, by forcing punishments or such.

What do I become? Is there one word to describe this situation (where rights are taken away)?

  • You may want to re-word this question, "What do you call someone whose rights have been taken away from them?" – Phil Whittington Feb 28 '12 at 0:26

Disenfranchised is used in the sense of denied the right to vote, but can be extended to other rights as well:

disenfranchise (also disfranchise)
verb [ with obj. ]
deprive (someone) of the right to vote: the law disenfranchised some 3,000 voters on the basis of a residence qualification.
• (as adj. disenfranchised) deprived of power; marginalized: a hard core of kids who are disenfranchised and don't feel connected to the school.
• deprive (someone) of a right or privilege: a measure that would disenfranchise people from access to legal advice.


As though you were stripped of your right?

c : to divest of honors, privileges, or functions


Abjected. Made abject.

"Severely unequal societies require frequent abjection to stifle spontaneous forms of revolt."


A person who has had their rights unfairly removed is a victim.


Suppressed or oppressed might work.

  • there's a collection of words somewhere out there in this world which says: "suppressed, oppressed and depressed!". Not sure what it means!! – karthik Feb 28 '12 at 9:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.