We have a guy who literally writes paragraphs and paragraphs of text in most of his forum posts. If I had to pull his leg and tag him as a <insert placeholder here>, what word or phrase would that be?

  • There is a vast difference between (1) criticising somebody for saying in an overelaborate way something that could have been said more concisely, without any loss of content, and (2) criticising somebody for writing something that is excessively long for the given setting (e.g. an Internet discussion board), even though it may be perfectly OK for a different setting (e.g. a scholarly journal). Which of the two do you have in mind?
    – jsw29
    Commented Aug 26, 2022 at 15:12
  • @jsw29 (2) is the one I'm looking for. Although it isn't meant to be critical in nature. More like friendly banter.
    – asprin
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 3:46

1 Answer 1


Probably a graphomaniac:

someone with a compulsive urge to write.


  • That sounds like it.
    – asprin
    Commented Aug 26, 2022 at 13:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.