What word describes retro sounds/images incorporated into our modern technology? For example, the sound of a phone ringing with an incoming call, or the click of a shutter when we take a photo with our iPhone?


2 Answers 2


I might use "vestigiality" if you're going for one word. Otherwise "technological vestigiality". The one word requests are so tough sometimes! But fun. Hope you find the word you're looking for, as I am curious as well.


I believe they would both be considered (nostalgic) "memes". Both of your examples are "audible", but that does not make them any different from more familiar "visual" memes.

TFD - meme

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.