I'm looking for a word that can substitute an object, whose name is unknown to the speaker.

I'm aware that there are words like "whatsamacallit", "thingamabob", etc., but they seem to be colloquial and I have never heard/seen any such word used in a formal setting. Is any of these common placeholder words appropriate in any situation?

For example, let's say I want to compliment a stranger, but I don't know the English word that represents the object I'm talking about: "You have a nice [placeholder]". What should the placeholder be?

  • Pointing: "You have a nice one of those." (This assumes that you are not pointing at body parts.)
    – Greybeard
    Jul 19 at 23:22
  • 2
    Before widget meant something in software, it was a word for undefined things manufactured. "Let's say you make 1,000 widgets a day ..." Jul 19 at 23:50
  • 1
    Anything wrong with "thing"? Jul 20 at 1:52
  • Can "thing" always be used as a single word placeholder or can that be ambiguous sometimes and one should say "this thing" or something like that instead?
    – Villem
    Jul 20 at 5:01
  • @DJClayworth "thing" is sometimes used as a euphemism for penis.... Then again, almost any word can be used as a euphemism for penis -- guys are not very selective.
    – Barmar
    Jul 25 at 21:02

1 Answer 1


Look for a more general term. Examples:

  • You have a nice accessory.

  • You have a nice garment.

  • You have a nice outfit.

  • You have a nice piece of jewelry.

But note that (at least in the US), it would be better to say, "What a nice _____" in place of "You have a nice _____."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.