enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

In my language we have a word to describe that kind of roads. How can I do this in English? is there a specific word for that or I can say just 'a road that goes up'?Also in my language we can use same word to describe roads that goes down. Is this true for English? Briefly I was wondering in US, how people describe roads that go up or down like in pictures?

  • no that guy is asking wavey roads. I'm asking rising or falling roads Jul 16 at 20:38
  • 2
    I voted to reopen because of one conjunction, OR. Indeed, the indicated duplicate asks about roads going up AND down, whereas this question about roads going up OR down
    – fev
    Jul 18 at 9:40
  • 1
    When you say that your language has a word to describe roads which are not on flat ground do you mean (a) that your language has adjectives to describe such roads (b) that your language has one or more different nouns for roads going up or down hill (c) that your language has different adjectives or nouns for roads going up or down hillI? In English we have a number of different words for thoroughfares but they can all be subject to the same set of adjectives regarding steepness. For instance "a steep street", "a gently rising road" and so on.
    – BoldBen
    Jul 18 at 12:07
  • 1
    I think the nearest equivalent to xxxx in your comment is probably "hill". I'm British but I think Americans use it in the same way. We do literally say "I have to go uphill (or downhill) to go to work" but going uphill does not, necessarily, mean using a road or path. A hill is a geological feature but we sometimes call the side of a ridge and particularly a road up a slope "a hill". When talking about roads goingnup or down hill Americans often talk about "a grade" but that's not really something you would hear in the UK.
    – BoldBen
    Jul 19 at 8:18
  • 1
    You can use all of those except "go" on its own with very little difference of meaning. There isn't, though, an antonym that I can think of for "climb" meaning "go down". We can use "ascend" and "descend" but these are rather formal. Interestingly it's perfectly normal to talk about a vehicle "climbing" a slope, grade, hill and so on.
    – BoldBen
    Jul 21 at 20:27

3 Answers 3


That would be an uphill or a downhill road.

uphill means

going or tending upward on or as if on a hill

  • 4
    Also a road with in incline, or a grade, or a steep grade. Jul 16 at 21:32
  • 2
    Or, if the hills are not too steep, an undulating road. Jul 17 at 7:47
  • 2
    @JohnLawler I believe it should be either "a road with an incline", or "a road with a decline". In common speech, you can also just use uphill and downhill (which are normally adverbs) as nouns, if you wish: "a road with a large uphill followed by a mid-sized downhill." Using grade, upgrade or incline in this situation, along with adjectives likes steep/gentle to describe the amount of grade would sound more technically precise to me.
    – Brandin
    Jul 19 at 8:32

I'd suggest, an upgrade or downgrade road


(n.) an upward grade or slope M-W

(adj.) US and Canadian going or sloping upward

(adv.) US and Canadian up an incline, hill, or slope



A sloping road.

  1. vt to lie or cause to lie at a slanting or oblique angle
  2. intr (esp. of natural features) to follow an inclined course "many paths sloped down the hillside." Collins reverso
  • To do: discuss"the road slopes" vs. "the road is sloped" .
    – Conrado
    Jul 18 at 12:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.