I remember in school being taught a literary device while studying Beowulf where a name is replaced by a description ("wave-rider" instead of boat, a weapon being "life-ender", etc). I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called.

1 Answer 1


This is commonly called an epithet:

1a: a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing

You may also be thinking of a kenning:

: a metaphorical compound word or phrase (such as swan-road for ocean) used especially in Old English and Old Norse poetry

  • Yes, kenning is the word I would use to describe this
    – TonyK
    Jul 9 at 20:40
  • Very interesting! Ken, is a Scottish or Northern England term, meaning, "range of knowledge or perception", which is in turn, related to the Old Norse word "kenna", which means, " to perceive"
    – C0ppert0p
    Jul 10 at 0:09
  • 1
    @C0ppert0p It's not just regional; phrases such as "outside one's ken" are fairly widespread in English (though perhaps not common). And there are many English cognates, including "can" and "know". Jul 10 at 2:31
  • @Chris Hampton All of the Greek gods had epithets. Their wikipedia entries typically list them in great detail. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes Jul 10 at 17:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.