Is there a term for this form of holding hands in which each person grips the other's wrist, as might be used to form a strong link in a kid's game like Red Rover or in an action movie after catching a falling person by the arm?

How would you describe the 3D shape made by the the forearms and hands in this position?

  • Are you really asking about the shape itself or a name for that grip?
    – Jim
    Commented Jul 6, 2022 at 19:12
  • My original goal was to describe a geometric figure that has roughly this shape (the interior of Bing's house), so either would do.
    – Karl
    Commented Jul 6, 2022 at 19:15
  • 1
    I'd describe it as "gripping each other by the wrist" although I see "gripping each other by the forearm" used as well. Not very concise, but clear and descriptive.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Jul 6, 2022 at 19:31
  • 2
    How about forearm grip? Commented Jul 7, 2022 at 4:20

1 Answer 1


After another round of trying search terms, I found "forearm handshake". I was hoping to find something well-known enough to have its own Wikipedia article, but this should work.

  • I think just 'forearm shake' would make more sense, but the 'hand' in 'handshake' might be more symbolic than literal.
    – Joachim
    Commented Apr 3, 2023 at 11:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.