If you transport material by truck/plane/boat, it is "cargo".

Is there a word that describes material that is being transported by machinery in an industrial setting, like in a pipeline / on a conveyor belt / in a bin or bucket? ("load"? "material"?)

  • I can't think of a generic term for this.
    – Barmar
    Jun 23 at 2:15

2 Answers 2


"Pipeline transport" can be used but specifically only for transporting a liquid/gas via pipes.

Being more generic, I would suggest "load" or "goods".


I skimmed an article, "Understanding Conveyor Systems." It uses the following terms:



  • But far too ballpark for a decent answer on a site aimed at linguists. Jun 23 at 9:39
  • @EdwinAshworth - this is technical language and I imagine OP would get better results from a group of engineers. Jun 23 at 20:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.