I think every once in a while, farmers stop growing on some of their crops fields. They let all the natural and wild grasses, weeds, flowers, plants, etc. grow up in it. I think the purpose is to give the soil a "rest" so that the next time they grow crops on it, it has a better balance of nutrients.

What is the name of this process or this type of field?

  • One overlooked answer in the duplicate is for set-aside which is also a term used in UK. Commented Jun 22, 2022 at 14:36
  • 1
    Set aside is generally used in the context of grants for non-use in the UK, rather than resting as fallow.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Jun 22, 2022 at 14:50
  • 1
    There is also "rewilding", but that is more long term... Commented Jun 22, 2022 at 17:28

1 Answer 1




  1. (of farmland) ploughed and harrowed but left for a period without being sown in order to restore its fertility or to avoid surplus production: incentives for farmers to let land lie fallow.


a piece of fallow land: a great estate was usually divided between fallows, grazed stubble, and wheat


leave (land) fallow for a period: fallow the ground for a week or so after digging.

Oxford Dictionary of English

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.