Is there a name for a type of phrase like "Let's go, Brandon"? For some context, NPR:

In this case, the phrase isn't actually about supporting a guy named Brandon. Instead, it's a euphemism that many people in conservative circles are using in place of saying, "F*** Joe Biden."

More specifically, I am looking for the name for a phrase like this that intentionally hides a seemingly unrelated deeper meaning behind the literal interpretation of a phrase. In this case, the hidden meaning is vulgar.

So far, it seems like it is a euphemism/minced oath. Perhaps this is also a form of irony?


1 Answer 1


Such a phrase may be called a euphemism. For example, you could say, "On Sunday, Senator X was seen wearing a baseball cap displaying the euphemistic political slogan, "Let's go, Brandon."

Google's Oxford Languages quick search for euphemism provides:

a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

“downsizing” as a euphemism for cuts

  • euphemism is the actual word used in the OP...? which you edited to add..? what's going on? OP missed that part you mean?
    – BCLC
    Jun 19, 2022 at 19:10
  • @BCLC - Sorry, I'm not following. / I added the comma in "Let's go, Brandon." That was my only edit. You can see my edit by clicking on "edited X mins ago." Jun 19, 2022 at 19:12
  • @aparente001 BCLC is pointing out that your suggestion ("euphemism") is already included in the question. I don't think that he/she realizes that it wasn't there when you contributed your answer. Jun 20, 2022 at 3:12
  • @MarcInManhattan - Thanks, I see that now. Jun 20, 2022 at 4:16
  • @BCLC - OP added that one hour after I posted my answer. Jun 20, 2022 at 4:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.