enter image description here

It is Flag Day, and the US flag is on my brain. I can think of erect, unfurled, and at attention to describe a flag flying perpendicularly to the ground in a strong wind, but I feel like I’ve heard another word. Am I missing something?


2 Answers 2


UNFURLED make or become spread out from a rolled or folded state, especially in order to be open to the wind.

  • 2
    You need to attribute your source.
    – Laurel
    Jun 17 at 14:13
  • Welcome to EL&U...you have posted a few interesting answers, but if you are quoting a source, you must cite the source to avoid legal complications...BTW, LQ answers like this are often deleted Jun 17 at 18:11

The only term that comes to mind is "Full Mast" but that doesn't describe the way it's flowing in the wind - that describes the height at which it is in relation to the pole.

I suppose you could say the flag is flapping or swaying with the breeze?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.