What kind of adjective would you use for an argument that doesn't stand on a very firm ground?

It came to my mind "wiggly argument" (like it wiggles) but apparently that term is not used.

  • Yes, that's correct. Logical arguments are rarely described with video metaphors (though perhaps that might be a good strategy for some). Note that "on firm ground" is itself a metaphor, since arguments are not people or buildings and therefore can't "stand", and no ground of any firmness is involved. Jun 7, 2022 at 14:11
  • 3
    you might call it "shaky" but not "wiggly"
    – Esther
    Jun 7, 2022 at 14:15
  • Thanks for the answers! Why was this closed? I did include research.
    – Tomas
    Jun 9, 2022 at 14:22

2 Answers 2


You might call it shaky

uncertain or questionable. "Your arguments are very shaky" (Collins Dictionary, under "in British English)

not firm, substantial, or secure; weak, unsound, or unsteady, as a structure, belief, etc. (Collins Dictionary, under "in American English")

It can have the same meaning as "unsound" (see dubious's answer), but it is similar to the word you suggested.


Consider the definition of "soundness"

an argument is sound if it is both valid in form and its premises are true.

You could then say "unsound argument".

It's very common to also say "weak argument".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.