I noticed that journalists often write titles in which they connect two proper nouns (but not only those) with a comma, instead of using "and".

Two examples:

Is this grammatically correct? Is there a name for such a writing style? Is the main reason here shortening the title?

  • 1
    Headlines are not subject to ordinary grammar rules. They often omit necessary but predictable words. Sometimes reading them is very very difficult, especially headlines about sports or politics or sex, which are full of taboos and specialized terms. Commented Apr 16, 2022 at 23:40

1 Answer 1


Journalistic Comma

Journalistic Comma is as close to a name as one will likely find. Those of us in Journalism use the comma as the OP describes simply to save space in a headline by not writing "and."

  • Searching the term "Journalistic Comma" online doesn't bring up much, so I conclude there is no widely used name. The answer is still good since it's aware of this fact and it also addresses the second part of the question.
    – user451137
    Commented Apr 17, 2022 at 8:20
  • I've only found this used as a rare synonym for the fixed phrase 'serial comma' or 'Oxford comma'. OP asks about the practice of replacing the word 'and' in a coordinate noun phrase (two NPs joined by 'and') with a comma. Serial commas are possible only with lists of 3 or more elements (Harpo, Groucho[,] and Chico). Commented Apr 17, 2022 at 16:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.