Apologies in advance, I am no linguist and don't know the proper terminology for things.

I am looking for a collective word to describe someone who is interested in alcohol, makes cocktails, brews, distills, ferments, bartends, and drinks.

I don't mean mixology, which specifically refers to the making of cocktails, nor do I mean oenology/enology/viticulture/viniculture which all relate to wines.

Common suggestions I've found online are bacchanalia, debauchery, libations, bibulous (edit: this was grammatically incorrect, Anton is correct that it would be bibulousness or bibulousity), and victuals. These are unsuitable as they either refer to excessive drinking of alcohol, or are too vague.

The comments seem to agree that the specific word doesn't exist, but I am very happy to see your suggestions.

  • Good question. Difficult to answer. Free Dictionary gives meaning for bibulosity but associates it with too much alcohol so it is not quite right for your required meaning. Similarly with bibulousness as defined in Lexico. So I leave these suggestions as comment rather than answer.
    – Anton
    Commented Apr 3, 2022 at 21:40
  • I am afraid the context you provide is no context. "Showmanship" seems to have nothing to do with eat and drink. You might just as well say he has an interest in "stamp collecting". And your understanding of "cuisine" seems to differ from mine and most dictionaries, e.g. "a style or method of cooking, especially as characteristic of a particular country, region, or establishment." And the only drink that complements cuisine is wine, which you reject. The word you are after almost certainly does not exist, but that is no reason to worry — you can always explain what you mean in a phrase.
    – David
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 20:29
  • Hi David, thanks for taking the time to comment. I understand that you have butted heads with others in this forum, so I appreciate you taking the time to help out. (Enter does not do a line break, okay.) The example was to provide context not towards the definition of the word I seek, but the type of word I was searching for. How someone might be interested in cuisine (i.e. Studying different cultures cooking), or interested in stamp collecting as you provided. I reiterate that I am no linguist, hence why I defer to anyone else's judgement
    – Confused
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 20:43
  • alcohol and spirits.
    – Lambie
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 20:47
  • Further explanation is that I am trying to describe the interests of a man who is interested in beer, wines, spirits, bartending, bars, cocktails, inventing cocktails, brewing, distilling, and drinking alcohol, all collectively. I could have sworn I'd seen a word describing such once, but everyone here agrees that there isn't one, so I am perfectly happy to settle for a substitute someone else has provided.
    – Confused
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 20:50

3 Answers 3


There isn't an established word as it is a broad concept. There are specialized terms like oenology / enology (the study of wine and winemaking, 'vinology'), mixology (the skill of mixing cocktails and other drinks), zythology (the study of beer and beer-brewing, 'beerology'), zymurgy / zymology (the study of the biochemical process of fermentation and its uses) and these terms are more established.

However, liquorology would be an apt, easy-to-understand neologism. There is also a website about alcoholic beverages (liquors) with the same name. Moreover, liquorist is a more established word already. Even, ciderology was coined for the study, teaching and championing of cider.

Note that, in a very few sources, liquorology is used as a term in clinical chemistry.

OED definition of liquor:

Liquid for drinking; beverage, drink. Now almost exclusively spec., a drink produced by fermentation or distillation. spirituous liquor, liquor produced by distillation; spirits. vinous liquor, liquor made from grapes; wine. See also malt liquor n.

Liquor is usually used for spirits where beer, wine and cider are excluded but it can serve as an all-encompassing term for all alcoholic drinks as well.

To define the person, there are the terms liquorist and alcoholist. The definitions in Urbandictionary (which is not credible but good for colloquialisms, neologisms and slang) are close to what you are asking for:

alcoholist: An expert at alcohol. Like a specialist~ a professional. Someone who is a specialist at alcohol. Unlike the term "alcoholic", which has a negative connotation, an "alcoholist" is someone who is a specialist at alcohol. They are unlikely to be a drunk, but more akin to a connoisseur of alcohol. This is a compliment, and a term of respect and camaraderie.

liquorist: A person who is interested, either professionally or as a hobby, with the collecting, mixing, history, production, discussion and, of course, enjoyment of spirits and cocktails

However, the definitions in OED are different and alcoholist can have a negative sense:

alcoholist: Originally: an advocate of the freedom to drink alcoholic drinks, a person who is against prohibition (prohibition n. 4b) (now historical). In later use also: a person addicted to alcoholic drink.

liquorist: One who makes liqueurs.

OED lists the uncommon adjective liquorish also:

Fond of or indicating fondness for liquor.

Other options:

  • If you follow the Greek route like oenology, you can come up with oenopneumalogy or oenopneumatology for the study of alcoholic drinks. In Greek, οινόπνευμα means alcoholic drink/spirit and it is:

from οίνος (oínos, “wine”) +‎ πνεύμα (pnévma, “spirit”), a calque of French esprit-de-vin. - Wiktionary

Note: Oeno- is from the ancient Greek οἶνο-, combining form of οἶνος wine.

Pneumatology was coined before also for the study of spiritual beings and phenomena etc.

  • Ethanology is yet another neologism appears in some related sources in Google Books. It is from ethanol, a colorless liquid, which is the intoxicating constituent of liquors. The website ethanologydistillation.com defines ethanology as:

The Science, & Art of Distillation.

  • Distillery is the process of distilling or the establishment for distilling. However, OED has the obsolete sense for the art. It might serve as a term for the interest in the process of distilling alcohol.

The action or art of distilling; = distillation n. 3. Obsolete.

There is also The Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD):

is an industry trade association for brewers and distillers, both in the United Kingdom and internationally. Wikipedia

  • Alcohology, inebriology and spiritology have different meanings, apparently.

alcohology: (sociology) The study of the effects of alcohol; on living organisms, people or social environments. - Wiktionary

inebriologist: (n.)one who studies the process of getting drunk. - Urbandictionary

Inebriologist also appears in the book Eugenics, Human Genetics and Human Failings by Pauline Mazumdar.

spiritology: The studying of spirits, spirit worlds, and other spiritual things is known as spiritology. - the-otherworld.fandom

spiritology: from The Century Dictionary.
noun Same as pneumatology, 3. - Wordnik

  • Yet another neologism: boozology from booze, slang for alcoholic drink.
  • 1
    The term liqour rarely includes beverages which have been fermented but not distilled.
    – Davo
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 15:34
  • Liquor (or a spirit) is an alcoholic drink produced by distillation of grains, fruits, vegetables, or sugar, that have already gone through alcoholic fermentation. From your link, emphasis mine.
    – Davo
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 15:37
  • These words can be used for that purpose, but, to avoid misleading future visitors to this page, it should be made clear that none of them would be as readily understood as cuisine.
    – jsw29
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 16:12
  • The book The Art of Distilling Whiskey and Other Spirits: An Enthusiast's Guide to the Artisan Distilling of Potent Potables [by Bill Owens (Editor), Alan Dikty (Editor), Fritz Maytag (Foreword)] describes "distillation" as an art form also.
    – ermanen
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 20:20
  • The term liquorist appears in dictionaries and books related to liquors in Google Books as well.
    – ermanen
    Commented Apr 4, 2022 at 21:28

It seems to me that an important issue is whether you are talking about a professional, such as a bartender or distiller, or merely someone with amateur level expertise, or someone with a passion? I think it's unlikely you'll find a dictionary word for someone with an amateur level of expertise in alcohol.


Wine is, of course, made by fermenting the many domestic varieties of grapes most often by using the yeast found naturally on the grape. Grapes were developed from wild grapes. Each grape variety most often gives its name to the wine and a person who has become expert, and who through careful experiment has produced many delightful vintages and is an expert in the selection and production of various wines is known as an oenologist. Fermentation produces alcohol from the sugars found in grapes. Wines rarely exceed 12% alcohol naturally though this may be boosted by certain processes. Another name for alcohol is ethanol.

On the other hand ethanol is also made stronger by a two step process. The ethanol, or spirits, is firstly produced by fermenting grain or potatoes and the resulting liquor is distilled to produce a liquid of a higher alcoholic content, possibly up to 40%.There is no word for an expert in producing an alcoholic drink by this process. We could invent one such as ethanoligist which is not in any dictionary. It should not be confused with ethnologist which is a word for man who studies various races. The word ethnic which often means foreign is derived from that latter word.

Methanol or wood alcohol is produced in the same way by using wood instead of grain or potatoes and is poisonous but useful for industry.

  • Why did you post (another) new answer for this? It looks like you're just expanding on your existing answer, so you should instead edit it
    – Laurel
    Commented Apr 7, 2022 at 22:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.