By "words with opposites of the same form", I mean word pairs such as:

  • Input/Output
  • Inhale/Exhale
  • Import/Export

and so forth.

Is there a term to describe such pairs?


1 Answer 1


If all the antonyms you intend are indeed linked by form and created by adding prefixes and/or suffixes to the same root, you could say they are paronymous antonyms.

In grammar and morphology, a paronym is a word that is derived from the same root as another word, such as children and childish from the root word child. Adjective: paronymous. Also known as a beside-word.

In a broader sense, paronyms may refer to words that are linked by a similarity of form. Richard Nordquist; "Definition and Examples of Paronyms"

paronymous (adj.)

Of a word or group of words: derived from the same root; cognate. (OED)

paronym (n.)

A word which is derived from another word, or from a word with the same root, and having a related or similar meaning (e.g. childhood and childish); a derivative or cognate word. (OED)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.