There are several ways of noble addressing, such as:

  • Third person - female (Her)
  • Third person - male (His)
  • Second person (Your)

e.g : Your Highness

But, what are the meanings behind that? Why it seems differ from your as in "pack your own things!"

English is not my native, but addressing noble such as "My King" is more reasonable to me.

  • When you speak to a noble instead of addressing them directly, you address a positive attribute of them as a form of deference. You talk about their stature or grace or title rather than the person. It creates distance which reinforces the distance in social status.
    – siride
    Feb 10, 2022 at 0:12
  • This seems to go back longer than English. E.g. French has "monsiuer", which appears to be a contraction of "mon sieur", which I presume is related to English "my sir".
    – Barmar
    Feb 14, 2022 at 17:20
  • Much farther. Nobles require flattery and there are many ways to do it. Aug 31, 2022 at 23:49


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.