Possible Duplicate:
Differences among words describing someone who is expert in many things

I just wondered, what could we call a person with deep knowledge in various fields? For example, computers, music, sports, etc.

I think I could use sage, but it wouldn't be appropriate if someone is experienced in multiple fields.


2 Answers 2


I guess they could be called a polymath or renaissance man as defined here.

  • There were serious reservations to renaissance man, in a reply to another question earlier.
    – Kris
    Feb 15, 2012 at 8:41
  • polymath is the word used usually, +1 for that. For those curious about the 'math', let us clarify here math means knowledge in general, which perfectly fits. Renaissance man may have many artistic skills also, which I am not sure whether goes along.
    – karthik
    Feb 15, 2012 at 9:35
  • @Kris could you link to that question?
    – callum
    Feb 15, 2012 at 11:13
  • 1
    1. copy the phrase and paste it in the search box. Voila! 2. For the quintessential slacker: english.stackexchange.com/questions/54580/…
    – Kris
    Feb 15, 2012 at 11:48
  • @Kris, point taken for the meaning "Renaissance" based on the comment there. Feb 15, 2012 at 12:09

You may use wise

wise: having gained a great deal of knowledge from books or experience or both and able to use it well

  • 3
    Knowledge and wisdom are not synonymous.
    – Kris
    Feb 15, 2012 at 8:40
  • 2
    +1 for @Kris, knowing a lot does not make you have wisdom. If that were so, then what would be the value of analysis of knowledge? We know a lot, but how much do we understand?
    – karthik
    Feb 15, 2012 at 9:37
  • @karthik: +1 for "We know a lot, but how much do we understand?". So true in today's world. Feb 16, 2012 at 4:26
  • @karthik: Where's my +1 ?
    – Kris
    Feb 16, 2012 at 8:58
  • @Kris, thanks for reminding, intended to, but missed! :)
    – karthik
    Feb 16, 2012 at 11:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.