Is there a word for when someone has gotten over or is no longer affected by something?

Like after a break up, when someone “moves on” it might mean they have effectively forgotten about the other person. Is there a single word this?

  • 1
    recovered as in I have fully recovered from Jennifer? If that doesn't appeal give us a sample sentence or two into which you want the as-yet undiscovered single word to fit. Oct 21, 2021 at 7:02
  • 1
    You're over it? Oct 21, 2021 at 14:27
  • You have overcome it.
    – Lambie
    Oct 27, 2021 at 16:06

2 Answers 2


It's not a single word in total, but the phrase 'have closure' might be what you're looking for.


In the sentence being reviewed, it could look like:

I have closure around what happened with Jennifer


They broke up two years ago, but she didn't have closure until six months ago. And then she started dating again.


“Overcome” is the first thing that comes to mind

  • 1
    Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Oct 23, 2021 at 20:29
  • 1
    The trouble with overcome is that the sentence I have overcome Jennifer does not mean I have got over Jennifer, rather it means something like I have come off better in my struggle (probably physical, possibly metaphorical) with Jennifer. Oct 24, 2021 at 7:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.