While travelling, a person joins travellers to help, explain and introduce the place we travel. What is the English word for that person?

  • You should include a sample sentence to demonstrate how the word would be used. Commented Oct 16, 2021 at 5:20
  • Much depends on how you travel. If you're travelling by plane, the person who looks after your needs will be an air hostess or flight attendant. A century or two ago, when the wealthy would take The Orient Express for their sightseeing travels, the guy who looked after them on the train would be a porter. Commented Oct 16, 2021 at 11:39
  • Eg:- ( The one who helps while travelling )explained the history of that place.
    – Yagami
    Commented Oct 16, 2021 at 13:07

4 Answers 4


There are a number of related roles

A guide or tour guide or more formally tourist guide (as mentioned) takes groups of tourists around, talking knowledgeably about history, architecture, etc. They may escort a tour group on their travels through multiple destinations, or just provide short tours of a specific city, area, or building. (Career information)

A holiday rep (short for representative) is a related job which involves providing assistance and possibly entertainment to holiday-makers and maybe arranging coach trips and transfers, but doesn't require any deep historical or art-historical knowledge. It's often associated with package holidays, beach holidays, etc. (Career info)

Another related job is a concierge, who usually is based in one place such as a hotel or a specialist concierge service, and who tells people the best places to go for whatever they want, but doesn't accompany them. (Wikipedia)

A tourist information officer does something similar to a concierge but works out of a (often publicly-funded) tourist information office and serves all visitors not just those who've paid.

  • Thanks a lot...
    – Yagami
    Commented Oct 16, 2021 at 13:11
  • tourist guide sounds non English to me....
    – Lambie
    Commented Nov 5, 2021 at 15:49

This is the job of a tour guide (American English) or (less commonly used in British English) tourist guide. Just guide may work too.

a person who takes people on trips through an area and explains the interesting details about it

(source: Merriam-Webster)

It can be used both for people who guide an entire multi-day trip for a fixed group of people, as well as guiding a 'random' group of visitors to a single location for a few hours.

  • 3
    These days the term "tour guide", or sometimes just "guide", is more usual in the UK than "tourist guide". I can't remember ever hearing anyone being described as a "tourist guide" in the last 50-60 years.
    – BoldBen
    Commented Oct 16, 2021 at 6:23

My personal favorite here is the eponymous cicerone.

person who conducts sightseers; guide.


  • 1
    Yes that term is available, but to avoid misleading the learners of English who may come to this page, it should be said that it has a rather old-fashioned ring. It is a term that one expects to see in a novel set in the 19th or early 20th century rather than in ordinary present-day communication.
    – jsw29
    Commented Feb 12, 2022 at 16:36

To the terms already offered in the other posted answers, one should add courier. The term is, however, used in this sense only in British English; the speakers of American English are likely to find this use of it confusing. A courier works for a company that sells package holidays and represents it 'on the ground'; the term would thus not be used for the guides that work for local businesses.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.