I read this definition when I was about 10 or 12. I forgot the word and have been looking ever since. I think I remember it starting with the letter "s".


Sounds like the adjective sesquipedalian. Merriam-Webster defines it as "having many syllables" (when used of words) or "given to or characterized by the use of long words" (when used of people).

There's also a noun sesquipedalianism.

  • I first came across that word in connection with CEM Joad. Sep 24 at 17:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.