I wanted to write about intense fear, something like abject terror, but implying that it strikes you dumb with fear. Am I missing something obvious, or should I just settle for changing the wording to avoid the problem?


There is exactly such a word:

so shocked or surprised as to be unable to speak: he was dumbstruck with terror.


  • Dumbfounded would also work; which is better depends on context. – TimLymington Feb 9 '12 at 12:19
  • I think OP is looking for an adjective describing the object that makes you dumbstruck. That is, horrifying is to horrified as x is to dumbstruck. – slim Feb 9 '12 at 12:28
  • @Tim: To be dumbfounded is to be confused or perplexed; it means you have encountered an extremely puzzling situation, not necessarily a terrifying one. – Robusto Feb 9 '12 at 13:29

Are you looking for stupefying?

  • Hmm, I admit that I hadn't thought of that. At first glance it doesn't seem like what I was looking for, but I may come round to it. 'Stupefying terror' feels slightly tautological. – Benjol Feb 9 '12 at 10:17

I can think of stunning, paralysing, shocking, staggering, traumatising, devastating, demolishing, overwhelming, shattering, ravaging terror.

  • That's one heck of a terror! – Hellion Feb 9 '12 at 22:40
  • @Hellion: he, he, yes. – CesarGon Feb 10 '12 at 2:22
  • I like stunning, and paralysing is quite good (I did also have 'deer in the headlights' in mind as a metaphor). – Benjol Feb 10 '12 at 5:45

Another option I thought of today was aphonic, but I think that is a tad too esoteric, and more likely just to trip readers up.

In the end, I think the solution was staring me in the face:

abject, speechless terror


What about "I was rendered speechless"? It might be so common that it's more of a cliche.


“nonplus” answers the broad question posed by your title.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.