Is there any single-word adjective that emphasizes the property is related to the content opposed to the properties that are related to the container?

I have seen the word contentual which does not seem to be very common.

To clarify my intent, consider a container that holds liquid. consider the weight of the compound, it is mostly related to the content so, you may say:

weight is a contentual property

on the other hand, the volume, is mostly related to the container, so, it is not a contentual property.

I am looking for a word to replace contentual in the above sentences

  • 2
    Related / Possible duplicate - Is "contentual" a proper word? It's in the full OED, so maybe you should just use that term. Alternatively, perhaps content-based (as opposed to format-based, which in most contexts would be equivalent to "relating to the medium / container rather than the message / content"). Commented Sep 4, 2021 at 13:42
  • 1
    In the OED, "contentual" is restricted to the fields of philosophy and psychology and is defined as " Belonging to, or dealing with, content (opposed to act or form)" - which is not what you want. In your context, "contentual property" would be better expressed as "a property of the contents". However, as it does not include the container, the phrase would be "the major factor in the weight." (Probably "mass" would be better than "weight".)
    – Greybeard
    Commented Sep 5, 2021 at 10:06

1 Answer 1


(Nett) weight is a content-related / content-bound property.

I would avoid contentual, unless you define it for your readers. The things described in the OED citations seem more abstract than physical. There is no adjective such as *containeral that would come to mind to help grasp the meaning of contentual, and it might even be confused with contentious.

You say "...consider the weight of the compound, it is mostly related to the content...". In fact, we distinguish gross, nett, tare, and volumetric weight. Nett weight is a property of the contents. Both the container and its contents have weight/a weight.

We also say the container has a certain (maximum) volume; its contents occupy all or a fraction of it. Both the container and its contents have volume/a volume.

If you need to distinguish, I suggest:

container-related properties and content-related properties

An alternative would be content-bound and container-bound properties.

You could also use content and container attributively: "X is a content property and Y is a container property."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.