There are at least 2 kinds of trunk. A large, full-grown tree that could be able to be processed into lumber. And a smaller one, the size of branch of the full grown tree, but larger than a twig, that would be used as fence or pole or many products as-is without much processing.

I would call the large one as a log, in my opinion if it was thicker than human body it is surely a log. But I got uncomfortable calling the small sized ones logs, especially if they're around the size of a human leg. But it is still a trunk and not a branch so I couldn't call it a branch, right?

Does English have specific terms for these differences?

  • Absent examples of sentences by way of use, I am voting to close this question for lack of clarity.
    – Greybeard
    Aug 29, 2021 at 18:49
  • 1
    The next size down would be saw timber (11 inches for hardwood, 9 inches for softwood) below that is pole timber. USDA timber glossary
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 30, 2021 at 22:01

1 Answer 1


American English has 'cord wood;' lengths of trunk or limb stacked for fuel. But when those are sawn to fit the stove they are called(UK) logs and sit in a log-basket beside the fire. What you call logs would probably be called timber(UK), sent to a timber yard to be sawn and seasoned/ kiln dried/ processed.

  • The OP is looking for possibly different names for different sizes of log, with different diameter. Not different lengths.
    – Mitch
    Aug 30, 2021 at 3:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.