What will you call a person who loves to do things manually rather than using any technology tools.

closed as off-topic by sumelic, NVZ, jimm101, BladorthinTheGrey, user140086 Jan 9 '17 at 18:26

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – sumelic, NVZ, jimm101, BladorthinTheGrey, Community
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    Do you have any more context to go a long with this? What kinds of things are they doing? Writing? Building furniture? Traveling? Also, are they anti-technologist? Are they just older and take too long to learn new things? Otherwise this question is too open ended. – Mitch Feb 7 '12 at 14:51
  • This isn't directly related to them doing things by hand but the person is probably a hipster. – BladorthinTheGrey Jan 9 '17 at 17:48

You could simply call such a person a traditionalist. I would say that they're old school.

  • By now, many things are not traditionally done by hand. – einpoklum Dec 23 '15 at 18:57
  • @einpoklum I suggest that you look up the actual meaning of traditional. – Gnawme Dec 31 '15 at 17:32
  • Traditions are not eternal, they also develop or fade over time. – einpoklum Dec 31 '15 at 17:58

Literally, a 'hands-on' person. More correctly, a 'literally hands-on' person.

  • This is not what the phrase "hands-on" means (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands-on). I suppose you could use it this way, but you risk being misunderstood. – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 9:43
  • I know, which is the reason I said literally. And there need be no doubt people would misunderstand at all. – Kris Feb 7 '12 at 9:50

Well I would say "Craftsman" or " Crafter" . "Luddite" sounds rather offensively and doesn´t convey the message of dexterity in his hands ...

  • Those work for jobs that involve something being created (e.g. Architect, Painter). But would they be suitable for other jobs, where nothing is actually being "crafted" (e.g. An accountant or administrator who prefers paper and pen to computers and calculators)? – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 12:08
  • well in this case I would say " manualist" even though the name refers more to a person using sign language , still it sounds ok to me :) – ray Feb 7 '12 at 13:56

I like the term "maker", but I'm not sure that's quite what you want.

  • That only works if they are "making" something. – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 12:17
  • Makers don't use machines or tools? – Kris Feb 7 '12 at 15:07
  • You're both correct - but I did say it's not quite right. – silves89 Feb 7 '12 at 15:40

Handcrafter comes close. It means a person who does handicraft. It doesn't quite cover the person who avoids electric pencil sharpeners and uses grass shears to trim his lawn.

A Luddite is an anti-industrialist, and by extension a person who opposes advancements in mass production or opposes changes in technology. It is not so much a person who personally prefers to do all things manually.

Craftsman or artisan is a person who practises a skilled trade. The person's output is unlikely to be mass produced. But a craftsman or artisan might use advanced technology, or very little technology, or anything in between.


We may perhaps call them a dinosaur.


Noun dinosaur ‎(plural dinosaurs)

3 (figuratively, colloquial) A person or organisation that is very old, has very old-fashioned views, or is not willing to change and adapt


You may want to call them a hedonistic artisan to reflect on their love of making things by hand.

  • However, if the question is referring to doing rather than making, you should consider technophobe, retrophile or even a nostalgist. – AndrewNimmo Feb 7 '12 at 13:59

I would probably call them a luddite

"The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested ... against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution"- Wikipedia

It's not terribly complimentary though, so it depends how you intend to mean it.

  • 1
    Luddite implies actively trying to sabotage use of mechanized means, or at least opposing it on principle. Not to mention the fact that whatever that person is doing by hand might itself involve technology, e.g. someone who assembles his car by hand. – einpoklum Dec 23 '15 at 18:59

I might call him a DIY kind of a person (a do-it-yourself kind of a person, see Wikipedia article), or say "he's into DIY".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.