I'm looking for a word that describes the way software is released. It could be freeware, shareware, donationware, commercial, etc.

  • 3
    Licence. (general reference...)
    – 410 gone
    Commented Feb 6, 2012 at 15:40
  • License is with an 's'
    – Jef
    Commented Feb 6, 2012 at 15:46
  • Excuse me, I didn't know that.
    – Jef
    Commented Feb 6, 2012 at 15:57
  • 1
    Demn dem Yankees! Commented Feb 6, 2012 at 16:02

1 Answer 1


These are all "License Terms" or "License Types". Sometimes I see these terms used to indicate "Release Type", maybe when the same piece of software has multiple versions, where the Freeware version has fewer features and no support when compared to the Commercial version.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.