A "crack" in the system, but it's not damaged or harmful. I'm not looking for synonyms of negligence/overlooked, it's a word for the thing, conceptually, that is a result of negligence/being overlooked, like the word crack but not that exactly. All synonyms for crack don't work, either. Like, "an overlooking" or "an ignorance" but those words aren't used that way.

It's driving me nuts that this word is missing, or I'm missing it, so I'm reaching out.

1 Answer 1


Perhaps you might try oversight


2 : an inadvertent omission or error (whether by oversight or intention— G. B. Shaw)


a mistake made because of a failure to notice something:

Examples: MW.com

The fact that you didn't get an invitation is surely just an oversight. The error was a simple oversight.

  • 1
    Yes! That's it! Thank you so much, I knew there was a word for it. I just couldn't think of or search for it. I'm incredibly embarrassed now because I could've gotten there through "mistake" or something. The theoretical tip of my tongue appreciates your quick answer.
    – Bellamy
    Jul 31, 2021 at 8:08
  • You can select this as the accepted answer. Jul 31, 2021 at 8:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.