I am quite sure that there is a word for a symbol which was originated by a real-life, physical prototype but has since then outlived its origin.

Most notable example: the save button with floppy drive on it. Also, to a lesser degree, envelopes in email clients, and so on.

The "anachronism" or "metonymy" are close, but not exactly what I'm searching for.

  • I think the ampersand & is another example of this; it's Latin et in joined-together letters, but we don't use Latin any more. Feb 6 '12 at 12:23

A skeuomorph is "a derivative object that retains ornamental design cues to a structure that was necessary in the original."

  • 1
    You could always go for broke and coin skeuoglyph! Feb 6 '12 at 14:59
  • Good word; but it seems to be the opposite of what OP is looking for. Skeuomorphs are used to make the new seem familiar by incorporating familiar, but non-functional design. OP refers to symbols whose appearance is no longer familiar, but whose meanings are retained.
    – Dave
    Feb 6 '12 at 15:27
  • @Dave, I think you've misread the definition of skeuomorph. While "make the new seem familiar" is one possible aspect of a skeuomorph, in overall sense the word applies well. See examples in "Digital skeuomorphs" section of referenced article. Feb 6 '12 at 17:56
  • Thanks a whole lot!! It's what I have been searching for.
    – whitequark
    Feb 6 '12 at 18:43

Are you looking for "relic"? I appreciate that it can mean more than just a symbol.

  • 'can mean more than just a symbol.': 'relic' is not a symbol in the first place. Nor for that matter is 'vestige.'
    – Kris
    Feb 6 '12 at 8:48

You can say the symbol is outmoded, since, for example, the floppy disk icon represents a mode of storage no longer in use.

  • This is generally true, but I'm looking for a word which applies exactly to symbols.
    – whitequark
    Feb 6 '12 at 8:54

I would suggest using "memento".


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.