I'm asking for the specific type of structure that you would see when entering a settlement. They are usually over the road and you have to drive under them.

Image of gateway

2 Answers 2


The first word that occurred to me was archway:

an entrance or passage formed by an arch


It’s a gate to the city.

Photos of many such gates can be seen on Google Images. Search for “gate to the city.”

See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_gate, which notes that:

City gates were traditionally built to provide a point of controlled access to and departure from a walled city for people, vehicles, goods and animals. . . City gates, in one form or another, can be found across the world in cities dating back to ancient times to around the 19th century.

  • Gates traditionally provide a way to block access as well as allowing it. Commented Jul 23, 2021 at 7:23
  • And the old city gates did exactly that, often being guarded, closed at night, and the like. What do you think “controlled access” means?
    – Xanne
    Commented Jul 23, 2021 at 7:42
  • I don't see controlled access mentioned in the Q. I don't see a gate in the Q. Commented Jul 23, 2021 at 7:47
  • Did you look at the sources, and the huge number of photos labelled “gate to the city” or “city gate?”
    – Xanne
    Commented Jul 23, 2021 at 7:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.