I'm working on a core values course and a value that comes up often is the desire to act for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
My core values include curiosity, creativity, and X.
When I vote, I always choose the candidate who shows the greatest amount of X
Where I'm at;
- Altruism is close, and can work in a pinch, but I'd prefer a word that describes this at largest scale- as in improving the future of mankind, rather than a smaller group of people.
- Humanism is perhaps even closer but it tends to focus on psychology and philosophy- whereas the 'benefit' could just as easily be something like free energy technology.
- The word should focus on the desire to benefit humanity rather than any selflessness or sacrifice that might be involved.
- Would love to find a single word to describe this, but 2 words would work ok, e.g. Humanistic altruism if that ends up being the best we can do.
- In this case I'm fine with non-English words, e.g. German, Japanese, Sanskrit...