I am looking for a straight forward word or phrase to describe an occupation that is essentially underground/undercover work but I specifically want to stress that the work happens in the air/above the ground (sky, mountains, trees etc) not below the ground as underground implies. The specific meaning I am looking for is that it is hidden in terms of not physically visible or easy to get to, but also that there is a level of secrecy amongst the employees.
Looking at these two words in more detail and what I'd like captured from them:
- Underground: in concealment or secrecy; not openly:
- Undercover: working or done out of public sight; secret; engaged in spying or securing confidential information:
Examples of types of occupations that would fit the above:
- Stealth aircraft pilot
- Surveillance person mostly situated at a high vantage point
- Watch tower guard working at a top secret facility
Example sentence (using 'airborne' as a placeholder):
- When I was airborne I understood what I had to do, but now that I've gone underground, nothing makes sense.
- When I was working airborne, I enjoyed the work. Now I'm working underground and don't know which way is up.