Pants usually have 5-7 narrow (~1cm) short (~5cm) vertical strips of cloth that that hold the belt to the pants:

enter image description here

What is a single word/short expression for those strips?

I found belt loop, but when I google it, the search seems to indicate that belt loop refers to a loop around the belt that attaches things to belt, not belt to pants.

Is there a more specific term than belt loop?

  • 11
    Yup, they're belt loops. Apr 29, 2021 at 15:03
  • That's what I call 'em. Apr 29, 2021 at 15:08
  • 2
    The phrase can be uses in both senses that you have encountered, but there is rarely much to say about belt loops in the sense that you are asking about; that's why the results of Internet searches for that phrase are mostly about belt loops in the other sense.
    – jsw29
    Apr 29, 2021 at 15:14
  • Yes, belt loops, but if you know the context, just loops is enough. What you found is: belt hooks, People attach hooks to their belt loops, full of keys.
    – Lambie
    Apr 29, 2021 at 15:15

1 Answer 1


I Googled "parts of trousers" and got this

enter image description here

  • But there are other results indicating the other usage/usages (belts have loops already to 'take up the slack'). Apr 29, 2021 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.