If there is even the English name for this, please tell me. enter image description here

  • 2
    I'd probably just describe it as "tilted open"
    – user888379
    Apr 29 '21 at 0:55
  • 5
    It looks like an open transom.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 29 '21 at 1:31
  • 2
    An open "hopper" casement window Apr 29 '21 at 4:37
  • 3
    @Hotlicks is right. That's called a "transom." A "transom" is a window above a door. Transoms that are installed above interior doors, like that one is, are to allow ventilation between rooms without having to have the door open. You could say that the "transom is tilted open," but since every transom I've ever seen only tilts open, if you call it a "transom," I'd think saying that the "transom is open" should be sufficient. Still, in answer to your question, I might describe that position by saying something like, "The open transom tilted into the room from the top about 20 degrees." Apr 29 '21 at 7:46
  • 1
    A hopper transom window 'open to its full extent' (disregarding abuse). Apr 29 '21 at 11:44

I'm guessing that you are looking for "hopper window". It opens at the top, as opposed the more common "awning window" that opens at the bottom.

Pros and Cons of Hopper and Awning Replacement Windows

Awning windows hinge at the top and push outward to open. When the window is open the glass pane creates a little roof over the opening. Hopper windows are similar, except they hinge at the bottom and can push outward or pull inward to open.

It's not a term or distinction that a lot of people need to know, though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.