I want to know what is the name of such type of diagrams? Searching for text syntax diagrams yields only railroad diagrams, but that is different type, not what I look for.

enter image description here

  • I'm not sure there is a specific word for them; the general term is "diagramming", as you already know. I personally would lean towards calling them "anatomies", as they break down the whole into named parts.
    – Dan Bron
    Apr 23, 2021 at 19:38
  • 2
    It's very close to what's called a "comb field" in paper form design, but really there isn't a great deal of complexity here - it's just a stylised form of bracket or curly brace such as depicted in the following link, and is a centuries-old device: macrotypography.blogspot.com/2015/11/curly-braces.html?m=1
    – Steve
    Apr 23, 2021 at 20:55
  • They are often called decoders. Chevy VIN decoder
    – Phil Sweet
    Apr 29, 2021 at 20:45

1 Answer 1


I would say this is a very simple form of a "Parsing diagram".

From Wikipedia:

"Parsing, syntax analysis, or syntactic analysis is the process of analyzing a string of symbols, either in natural language, computer languages or data structures, conforming to the rules of a formal grammar."

Your diagram shows an expression (an e-mail address), takes its parts, and shows how it conforms to the addressing rules.

Googling for "parsing diagram", both for All and for Images, will give you examples.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.