I was talking to some coworkers and we were talking about some negative publicity on a company. I wanted to say "looks like another dink on their record", but I realized I was not sure if that was the correct word.

I double-checked the dictionary, and couldn't find a definition that matched my meaning: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dink

I'm thinking something like "scratch" or "dent" or "negative mark".

Like if you were driving down a tight alley and "dinked" the side of your car? Am I just completely making up this definition? Not sure where I learned to use "dink" that way. I think maybe from Counterstrike where you get hit in the head it's a "dink"?

so question is: Is dink the right word to use in this context? if not, is there a word that sounds like dink that i'm potentially conflating?


1 Answer 1


Thanks @user888379 for answering in comments, the word I was thinking of was "Ding"

criticize, injure, or penalize (someone). "agents who stayed on a call too long got dinged"

i was just mixing up Dink and Ding in my head

  • I've heard "dink" used in this sense. Just based on the sound, a "dink" is a smaller dent than a "ding".
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 12, 2021 at 21:28
  • Glad to help out. You can accept your own answer, by the way.
    – user888379
    Apr 12, 2021 at 21:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.