I've seen both used interchangeably, and can't decide which is best. Given that both adjectives modify the noun, should two hyphens not be used? Thanks!

  • 4
    Extra-high-voltage grid = [extra-high voltage] [grid] whereas extra-high voltage grid = [extra-high] [voltage grid]. The second is incorrect; it's a grid working at extra-high voltage, and both hyphens are needed to convey this (there are admittedly situations where the meaning is so clear that 'necessary' hyphens are dropped). Apr 10 at 17:37
  • An 'extra-high voltage grid' sounds like a 'voltage grid', whatever that is, at a particularly high altitude. The whole compound adjective needs to be hyphenated. Apr 10 at 20:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.