I need a two word phrase to refer to a community of people (academia + non-academia) who come together to share/exchange their knowledge/ideas openly on topics of their interests/ specializations.

I would appreciate the use of small and easier/common words for the phrase. Single words are also acceptable. Feel free to throw out your creative ideas and newly invented phrases.


3 Answers 3


Some possibilities include skills circle, boffins' venue, experts' salon, idea tribe.

You could make a list of a dozen "contents", that is, words suggestive of who will participate or what the subject matter will be (e.g.: boffin, brain, expert, idea, ivory, knowledge, learner, notion, savant, scholar, skill, student, think, thought, tyro) and a similar list of collectives (e.g.: academy, bunch, circle, class, collective, colloquium, conference, forum, group, meeting, salon, seminar, society, tank, team, tribe, trust, venue) and look at all combinations of same.

  • 1
    I like boffin! Put it with moot for Boffin-moot :)
    – AnWulf
    Jan 31, 2012 at 16:24
  • Nice suggestions. I like them! Jan 31, 2012 at 19:07
  • 3
    @AnWulf Boffin-moot!? Wonderful idea for a t-shirt: "Follow Me to the Boffinmoot."
    – Gnawme
    Jan 31, 2012 at 21:05

I'd generally call that a "conference" or "convention", often abbreviated to "con" for non-professional gatherings such as Anime or Comic cons.


In North Carolina, they have the annual Folkmoot (folk+moot) which is a festival.

So if yu want to be creativ ... then put the "meeting subject" + moot.

  • Finland has the talkoot: "a gathering of friends and neighbors to accomplish a task, similar to a bee or a barn raising in English."
    – Hugo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 19:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.