Just to clarify the title: not sure if this dialect always switches the "p" out with the "ʙ̥". For example, if the p is in the beginning of word, maybe this doesn't happen.

Also, I'm not sure this dialect even exists. I have definitely heard this kind of pronunciation, like with the word appreciation being pronounced with a voiceless bilabial trill instead of the voiceless bilabial plosive that standard English uses. However, this may be an ideolectic or even situational (to add more drama perhaps) pronunciation.

So my question is this: does there exist an English dialect/accent that does this?

  • 1
    Why woulds you think there might be such a dialect? According to Wikipedia, this "voiceless bilabial trill" is typologically extremely rare. So why should it turn up among native Anglophones? Mar 15, 2021 at 18:30
  • @FumbleFingers The only reason I think so is that I've heard it multiple times; I believe I've heard it by British speakers with dark skin, but I'm not sure. As I said in the post, I'm open to it being simply an ideolectic or situation pronounciation. It occured to me know that it may even be a sociolectic pronounciation. As for why it would turn up among native Anglophones: first of all, the speakers are not necessarily native, as I did say "dialect/accent". Second of all, I do believe that this pronounciation is, if a trait within a dialect, caused by foreign influences.
    – A. Kvåle
    Mar 15, 2021 at 18:59
  • Are you sure that it's the double 'p' that results in the voiceless trill or the three-letter combination 'ppr'? For example does it happen once or twice in the sentence "I'd appreciate it if you would be brief, I have an appointment at three". Saying that to myself with a trill only on appreciate I feel that it could be a Welsh accent you're looking for, particularly South Walsh.
    – BoldBen
    Mar 16, 2021 at 0:21
  • I'm not sure, but I do believe that it only happens with the "ppr" as you said. I'll look into the South Welsh accent and see if it matches what I've heard.
    – A. Kvåle
    Mar 16, 2021 at 11:51
  • @A.Kvåle I thought it might be the case that it was associated with "ppr" rather than "pp". In my opinion the trill is associated with the 'r' rather than the "pp".
    – BoldBen
    Mar 17, 2021 at 0:53


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.