I have found that:

  • Doctors use "instruments".
  • Cooks use "cookware" and "utensils".
  • Construction workers use "construction materials", "tools" and "equipment".
  • Sailors use "nautical tools" and "equipment".

All of these seem like alternatives in different professions to replace the word "tools"/ tools used to build or create something.

For engineers (specifically mechanical and electrical), is there a word for engineering tools that are used to build products?

  • 1
    What's a "nautical tool"?
    – Cascabel
    Mar 8 at 16:12
  • 3
    What's wrong with tools? We are talking about the tools of the trade. Mar 8 at 17:26
  • 1
    'Gear' might be a good term to use. It implies tools but can also mean general equipment and also large haulage equipment etc.
    – Jelila
    Mar 8 at 19:44
  • A nautical tool is usually a reference to an instrument such as a sextant or a compass.
    – Sunnyjohn
    Mar 8 at 19:46
  • If you’re ok with construction workers using tools and equipment then mechanical and electrical engineers also use tools and equipment and sometimes machines and instruments too.
    – Jim
    Mar 9 at 4:28

As a trained engineer, I would say that engineering is such a wide field that you would need to be specific with regards to the type of engineering. As an aircraft engineer, I used aircraft engineering tools in general and then would name sub-divisions, such as aircraft electrical engineering tools, and so on. In your example, I would say: engineering structure tools.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.