Little bit of background that might seem technical - I'm looking for a name for this common pattern in web design - if you are not logged-in, the homepage shows a marketing landing page. But once you log-in you see a completely different homepage e.g. Facebook shows a sign-up form first - and your feed once you are logged-in.

Design pattern names are typically nouns (for e.g. Visitor Pattern). I like to avoid terms with negative connotation like Bipolar or Split personality.

Some of the names I could think of were:

  • Dual Homepage
  • Duplex Homepage
  • Ambiverted Homepage
  • Janus-headed Home

I am not entirely happy with any of these. I am pretty sure I am missing some obvious word to describe someone who behaves in two different ways depending on the context. Appreciate any help in my search to find a proper name.

  • How about dynamic ? or mutable such as with functions. – Uhtred Ragnarsson Feb 27 at 14:33
  • 1
    The glass is half full. – Robusto Feb 27 at 14:38
  • 1
    Or maybe you should go with Jekyll and hyde. – user405662 Feb 27 at 14:45
  • 1
    How would the word be used in a piece of natural-sounding prose? – Lawrence Feb 27 at 15:33
  • 3
    I’m voting to close this question; requests for help in choosing names is explicitly off-topic. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 27 at 16:18

What about double homepage, twin homepages, second homepage, two-step homepage, progressive homepage, two-state homepage, bistable homepage, logging cycle?

  • Bistable Homepage sounds appropriate! – arocks Feb 28 at 2:39

The website sounds like the TARDIS from the popular British sci-fi TV show, Doctor Who, so assuming once logged it is a richer experience, perhaps your pattern could be named a "TARDIS homepage",

View from outside before you log in :


but once you login & get inside ...

tardis interior

PS. Yes, I know naming things is off topic, but I found this one hard to resist.

PPS. These images are copied from Wikipedia, so I assume no copyright issues using them here.

  • 1
    I like it. But I'm not sure if someone would the get the reference if they haven't watched Doctor Who. – arocks Feb 28 at 2:38
  • I would look into copyright issues... – Greybeard Feb 28 at 12:27
  • Do you mean the images? @Greybeard – k1eran Feb 28 at 12:28
  • I’ve now added a PPS to say from where the images were taken. – k1eran Feb 28 at 12:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.