I'm trying to find out what this symbol means and if it has a name:

I've seen it being used in word processors.

  • 4
    Voting to reopen. While the question can be easily answered with a single link, it's essentially impossible to find that link unless you already know the answer. Jan 27, 2012 at 19:48
  • 2
    @JSBngs: en.wikipedia.org/wiki Jan 27, 2012 at 19:49
  • 1
    @Cerberus It's surprising to see that that actually works, and it's not at all obvious that you can look up punctuation marks that way. Jan 27, 2012 at 19:51
  • 1
    I didn't know I could search wikipedia for a symbol. Thanks. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:24

1 Answer 1


It's called a pilcrow.

From Wikipedia:

The pilcrow (¶), also called the paragraph mark, paragraph sign, paraph, alinea (Latin: a lineā, "off the line"), or blind P, is a typographical character commonly used to denote individual paragraphs.

  • 2
    Unicode has three related code points: ¶ U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN, ⁋ U+204B REVERSED PILCROW SIGN, and ❡ U+2761 CURVED STEM PARAGRAPH SIGN ORNAMENT.
    – tchrist
    Jan 27, 2012 at 12:46
  • 4
    If you call it a pilcrow, very few people will know what you mean, unfortunately :( Better to call it a paragraph sign. Jan 27, 2012 at 14:54
  • 2
    @Mark Beadles, very good point. I actually searched Google for "Paragraph sign" to find the answer, so I'd agree it's the more common parlance.
    – Andy F
    Jan 27, 2012 at 16:41
  • for what it's worth, in LaTeX it is \textparagraph which supports the "paragraph" moniker
    – DQdlM
    Jan 27, 2012 at 17:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.