What is a word for an object that connects with something? Connector is used to describe a specific part in electronics but I need a word describing that the abstract object connects with something. This is an object in programming that allows the programmer to connect to a local proxy relay. I would like to call it a relay-connector but am unsure if it is correct to use connector in this context.

  • 3
    There's no such word as "connector"? connector: con·nect·or/kəˈnektər/ Noun: A thing that links two or more things together: "a pipe connector". A device for keeping two parts of an electric circuit in contact. google.com/?q=define:connector
    – Kris
    Jan 26, 2012 at 11:14
  • @Kris That's correct, but doesn't fit in my context. My apologies. I've edited my post to describe the context. Thanks anyway
    – Tim S.
    Jan 26, 2012 at 11:32
  • As WillHunting suggested, maybe you should post the relevant part of your code (using the word 'connector' for now) to see why it is not appropriate to your needs.
    – Kris
    Jan 26, 2012 at 11:38
  • @Kris Never mind, it does fit my context. My apologies again. It felt wrong because I couldn't find an abstract definition of "connector" as in "any object that connects two or more other objects" which I must have missed in your comment because it's definitely there in your comment. All search results I got was in specific context (electronics, etc). Anyway, thanks a lot! I feel so awkward now. I should have asked if "connector" is the right word or not...
    – Tim S.
    Jan 26, 2012 at 11:51
  • How about bridge?
    – JeffSahol
    Jan 26, 2012 at 13:58

2 Answers 2


"Interface" is appropriate here; it can mean both the contract that an object exposes to other objects (e.g., "All of the program's interfaces are documented in the software development kit") and a particular use or instantiation of that contract (e.g., "Because the security credentials had expired, the visualization software could not obtain an interface to the sensors").


Phil has a great answer with "interface" and that is the one you should probably use, but I'll give you another one: a common paradigm in OOP is that of "slots and signals", where objects declare slots that other objects can send signals to. This is useful for adding generic message-passing, often through inheritance.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.