If you picture in any war movie, you'll have three or four people standing around moving components on a war map. What are those people called? Cartographers, Mapmakers, or Map operators?

“And where is that Blood ridge you mentioned?” Seamus asked. “There,” the monk said pointing a chubby finger at a spot on the map 100 yards behind Boru's encampment. “Lugaid, I think we found our new mapmaker.”

Cartographers? Mapmakers? Map operators?


1 Answer 1


In British English at least, this job role would have been a 'plotter', as someone who plotted the position of objects on the map.

  • Thank you, I would not have come up with that without you. Much appreciated. Feb 7, 2021 at 13:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.